Saturday, February 2, 2013

1870s Costume for Sale!

greenblue taffeta 4
About ten years ago, before Ashley and I really got into historical fashion on a serious, research-oriented level, I made an 1870s gown, based off a commercial pattern (I honestly don't remember which one now, especially since I ended up entirely re-drafting the bodice), to wear to a Victorian-themed fundraising event.  I wore it only that once and it's been hanging in the closet ever since, and I think it is now officially time to bid it farewell.  My loss is your gain, as it is now listed on ebay!

Additional photos can be found here if you're interested in the details.  If you'd like to bid, please be aware that this is very much a costume - not a meticulously researched "reproduction" piece like those we typically share on the blog.  This was one of my first sewing endeavors and as such, it certainly has its flaws, though I still really like the way it came out.  It is entirely machine-sewn, trim and all, with only the tiniest details (hook and eyes, seam binding, flowers, etc.) sewn by hand.


The fabric is a very pretty green shot blue faux taffeta.  Green organza ribbon holds down the pleated trim along the square neckline and along the bottom of the skirt's apron, and also encircles the hem in two parallel lines.


The bodice is boned with plastic boning and interlined with interfacing to stiffen it, and then fully lined in self-fabric.  The sleeves are also lined, which helps them maintain their poofiness.  The bustle is a separate piece, attached to the waistband with hooks and eyes and attached to the back of the skirt with a series of ties and plastic rings.  The bustle is fully lined and is interlined with crinoline to give it some structure.


Six lavender roses and a bow of lavender organza embellish one side of the bustle; the other side is left plain.  This detail was copied from an early 1880s Godey's fashion plate and just adds a little splash of color.


The bodice and skirt are separate pieces.  The bodice, which has a pointed front, laces up the back through metal lacing holes with an olive green satin ribbon.  A little peplum poofs over the top of the bustle in back.
greenblue taffeta 2

Please see the listing for measurements, pricing, and further details.  I'll be very glad to see this go to a good home!


MCBurbage said...

From the construction description, this gown sounds very much like the Simplicity 5457 pattern.


Unknown said...

great blog! check out mine, if you want :)

Sarah Rachelle said...

Wow. For your first historical costume it still looks stunning even if it did come from a modern pattern.